As an accounting and finance manager, there will be times when you need to add temp employees to your team. Your permanent employees may be taking a vacation, on a planned leave, out sick, or unexpectedly no longer part of your company.
Bringing aboard temp employees can help even out the workload for your team. Because these employees come from a staffing agency, you know they are vetted and skilled in their work.
Temp employees require little training to begin producing. However, you may want to conduct skills tests to make sure these employees have what it takes to succeed in a role.
The following are five skills tests you may use to make sure your temp employees fit with an open position.
1. Reading Comprehension
The tasks required of temporary employees typically involve reading comprehension, speed, and other written communication skills.
- Temp employees need to receive, process, and send accurate information in emails, memos, reports, and other documents.
- Temp employees must read written instructions to perform specific tasks.
- Temp employees have to read reports to provide overviews to their managers.
Emails, memos, instructions, and related tasks require strong writing skills.
- Temp employees may be asked to write an executive summary of a manager’s report.
- This requires the proper tone, brevity, clarity, and precision.
3. Typing Speed and Accuracy
Because temporary employees often use computers, the employees must have typing skills.
- You want temp employees who can type at high speeds.
- Look for temp employees with a low error rate.
4. Word Processing
Temporary office employees need to understand your word processing software.
- Proper use of the layout and typography features is needed to format documents in line with your company’s style and brand.
- The temporary employees should be able to create fillable forms and modify templates for communications where the format is fixed, but the information varies, such as a monthly report.
Many tasks that temporary employees perform involve spreadsheets.
- Temp employees may need to create spreadsheets to perform important functions.
- Examples include tracking customer contacts or updating information in an existing spreadsheet, such as adding monthly sales for each sales professional.
Looking for Temporary Accounting & Finance Professionals?
Adding temp employees to your team can help ease the workload. You may want to provide skills tests to make sure the temp employees are able to complete the tasks that are expected of them. Our recruiters have access to hundreds of behavioral and skill tests to predict candidate workplace performance. We also offer interactive training modules for candidates who might need a refresher or to improve their skills.